Welcome

Welcome to Coleson's blog. We've created it to keep friends and family updated on the journey we are about to embark on.. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement during this time when it matters most.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

It's All Relative...


Wow – where do I even begin?!  Maybe with an apology for leaving everyone hanging for the past year….  It wasn’t my intention but for several reasons, I just never found time to update my blog.   It was a very busy year but also somewhat “normal” relatively speaking.   I will try to briefly summarize it below:



We survived the remaining two weeks of Coleson’s braces with relative ease.  I stress the word “relative” as having a 5 year old in braces during the summer isn’t easy at all.  I do have to gloat for a minute about my son (as if I don’t always)… he did not complain AT ALL during the 5 weeks he was in the braces.  Outside of the initial pain of surgery and the catheter, once we made it back home he was a trooper.  However, I don’t think we prepared him well enough for the first few days once we got the braces off.  We kept telling him that he would be able to walk and run again, but we failed to tell him that it would not immediately after getting the braces off.  Needless to say he was quite confused and scared when we took the braces off and he couldn’t walk and we handed him this contraption (walker) to use.  It didn’t take him long though (probably 2 weeks) before he was up and walking around and by the time school (Kindergarten) started (August 3rd) he was walker free.



Fast forward 1 year and he is now a 1st grader.  Completely blew over his Kindergarten year.   We still have some residual side effects of the surgery.  His feet are a little turned out (apparently, due to his abnormal bone growth, his tibia is rotated out on his left leg).  His left leg is also ½ in shorter than his right leg and so he has to have a shoe lift.  Unfortunately, it isn’t one that goes in the shoe therefore we have to have it mounted on the bottom of each shoe, costing $170 a shoe!  Fortunately, he is a boy and doesn’t have a big shoe wardrobe.  None the less, it is a pain to deal with.  And he has developed into a toe walker.  The ortho surgeon failed to communicate that we should watch out and try to prevent this from happening.  The feet are definitely an underappreciated body parts.  So we have added daily stretching to our routine.  Otherwise medically speaking we are contemplating stopping the weekly Enzyme Replacement Therapy and also considering timing of getting the hardware out of his femurs as well as contemplating removing his port.   I am also starting to suspect he has ADD or ADHD based on his short attention span and lack of focus.  He is a really good kid but struggles a bit with following directions the first time and staying focused on task.  I used to chalk this up to being a 6 year old boy but after talking to some friends, I am starting to question whether or not there is something else at play.    We skipped going to Minneapolis this summer as I thought we could all use a break but I have come to the conclusion that we have to go.   I have too many questions that just can’t wait.  I have to say Coleson was pretty upset when he learned we were not going to Minneapolis this summer, which says a lot that he remembers more of the fun we have than the Doctors appts and hospital visits.  He wants to go to Crayola Experience and Mall of America.  So we will be jetting off on his birthday and as an extra fun surprise we are going to stay at the Great Wolf Lodge the first weekend.  We will move into the RMH for the work week so that we can navigate all of the medical appointments.   He did have a significant anniversary this summer, his 5 year transplantiversary.  I can’t believe it has been over 5 years already but am grateful for every year!  He is in gymnastics and hip hop and started boy scouts this year.  He is taking after school soccer and golf (which Paul is happy about). Not sure how long he will be able to do any of these sports so am encouraging him to do all he can while he can. 



Peyton continues to be a great big sister and just a great person overall.  I admire her big heart and though I do get nervous that it can easily be broken, I appreciate how thoughtful and caring she is.  She is almost 9 already, being only 3 when Coleson had his transplant and only 5 when my dad passed.  Both events having a significant imprint on her.  Thankfully she is a good student and is very respectful of rules and teachers.  I rely on her to counterbalance the worry I have with Coleson.  I don’t take her for granted though as I know she still needs my attention and quality time.  She picked up cheerleading last year which is a perfect sport for her due to her nature of supporting and encouraging others.  She is the “tumbler” on the squad being able to do both back and front handsprings.  She is still in gymnastics and we added hip hop as well as Girl Scouts to the mix.  Are you starting to understand why I am so busy?  She had her first “major” (well to her it was Major but again, it’s all relative) surgery the first day of summer after falling on the slide in our pool and cutting open her chin.  She has severe anxiety when it comes to pain but after numbing the area and 9 stiches later, she was showing off her injury and recounting how brave she was. 



We suffered another death in the family this past November (just before Peyton’s birthday) with my Grandma passing away at 102 ½  years of age.  After 100, the ½ years become relevant again!  She had a stroke and briefly regained consciousness but died within 2 days.  My sisters and I spoke at the funeral remembering all of her great qualities and all of her “hidden” tissues which she pulled out at the first sign of a sniffle, a tear or a dirty face!   When we cleaned out her apartment we discovered lots of these tissues hidden in sleeves, pants pockets, etc.  Enough to fill a trash bag. 



Part of the reason why we have been so busy is that we ended up buying a new house (in Tempe) while we were in Minneapolis… sight unseen.  We had been considering moving to a bigger home in our neighborhood (really just one with a bigger yard) and the prefect one came up for sale about a week after we left for Minneapolis.  Thanks to great neighbors and friends and FaceTime (not to mention timing), we cut our Minneapolis stay 2 weeks short and signed a week later.  Thankfully Rachel had been in between jobs and helped pack up our house and the Ranch.  Yes, with this purchase, Paul had made the dissection to sell Rancho Costa Lotta.  I know it wasn’t an easy decision but he swears he doesn’t regret it.  It is an end of an era but we are making our new home just as unique and special to our whole family.  It has a big back yard with an awesome pool (with a big slide and waterfall) and we have had more get togethers here already than we had at the old house, including a surprise birthday party for Paul!



Paul got a new job (at Honeywell) in July.  He is getting back into Sales where he spent most of his career.  I think this is more his calling and although he is selling a different product line to different end users, you can see he is enjoying it.  Believe it or not, I am celebrating my 20th anniversary at Honeywell.  My job has undergone some recent changes as well and I am finding more balance in my life as a result.  We also celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this past August.  I used to tease Paul before we were married how his life changed once he met me, but wow, the past 10 have been eventful! I really hope the next 10 are a little more relaxing.  I’m sure Paul will be retiring in that time so it should be for him at least. 



I will post again once we get through our week in Minneapolis.  Oh, and I will try to find time to update pictures.  Wish us luck (on both)!

No comments:

Post a Comment